With phishing and fraud scams circulating daily, Ascend Federal Credit Union wants to help you prevent fraud.
Our fraud protection partners, Falcon Fraud Center, monitor your credit and/or Freedom card spending and alert you to unusual activity on your card(s). If unusual activity is detected, a Fraud Center representative will contact you on behalf of Ascend. In order to confirm the cardholder's identity, the representative will only verify partial information such as the last four digits of your card number or Social Security number. He or she will never ask you to give your entire card numbers, account numbers, Social Security numbers, etc. If you ever receive a call from someone wanting specific information of this nature, hang up immediately! A call like that is probably a scam.
If you have been contacted by the Falcon Fraud Center and need to get back in touch with them, you may call them at 1-800-813-5595.
If you have lost or suspect your Freedom or credit card has been stolen, Ascend Federal Credit Union is here to help. During normal business hours contact us at 1-800-342-3086 to cancel/replace your card. For after hours, please call 1-800-250-9655.
Verified by Visa
Verified by Visa is an extra step you can take to ensure your online shopping is secure and clear of the threat of any sort of identity theft or fraudulent charges. All you have to do is register and within minutes you'll be shopping with the complete safety of Visa security.
Select your card below to register.
Click Here to register your Ascend Freedom Card or Ascend Visa Card.
Avoiding Identity Theft
- If the crime involved the U.S. Mail, contact your nearest U.S. Postal Inspection Service office and report it.
- Call the fraud units of the three major credit bureaus listed below and request a "fraud alert" be placed on your credit file. Check your monthly financial statements for accuracy.
- Order copies of your credit report from the credit bureaus listed below to check whether any fraudulent accounts were opened without your knowledge or consent. Report suspected credit card fraud to the three major credit reporting bureaus, which you may contact online or by phone:
- Contact your credit union and creditors, by phone and in writing, and report the crime. Request that your accounts be flagged and instruct them to contact you immediately if there is unusual activity on your account. You may be advised to close some or all of your accounts. At the least, change your PIN codes and passwords immediately.
- Record the names and phone numbers of people with whom you discussed your case and retain all original reports and supporting documents. Keeping accurate and complete records are a big step toward helping you resolve your problem.
- File your complaint online with the Federal Trade Commission, or call their Identity Theft Hotline at 1-877-IDTHEFT. The FTC has counselors to assist identity theft victims with resolving financial and other problems that can result from this crime.
Please be aware that "phishing" scams are sometimes emailed or text messaged to Ascend Federal Credit Union members and non-members. Phishing is a means to trick a user into visiting a fraudulent Web site, usually through a bogus link in an email or text message.
Phishers send fraudulent emails containing authentic looking logos and graphics and ask for financial information.
If you get a message asking you to verify personal information, it did not come from your credit union. We will never send you a letter, text message or email asking for your account numbers, user names, passwords, or Social Security number. If you get a message like that – do not respond.
If you've compromised any personal information through a phishing scam, contact your credit union immediately to change your account number. Then you should contact the following credit bureaus to report identity theft so that a fraud alert can be placed in your file:
- EQUIFAX - To report fraud call: (888) 766-0008 Equifax Credit Information Services, Inc, P.O. Box 105069, Atlanta, GA 30374 www.equifax.com
- EXPERIAN - To report fraud call: (888) 397-3742 Experian, P.O. Box 2104, Allen, TX 75013-2104 www.experian.com
- TRANS UNION CORPORATION - To report fraud call: (800) 680-7289 TransUnion LLC, Consumer Disclosure Center, P.O. Box 1000, Chester, PA 19022 www.tuc.com
Call us at 800-342-3086 or visit our partner BALANCE, located under Tools in the main menu above to find out how to protect yourself from identity theft.